About The DrillMaster
Meet John Marshall
- 2017 Instructor, Law Enforcement/Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, Oak Island, NC
- 2016 Consultant, Army of the Air Exhibition Drill Team, Madrid, Spain
- 2016 Instructor, Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, The Woodlands, TX
- 2016 Instructor, Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, Chino Valley, CA
- 2016 Instructor, Law Enforcement/Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, Modesto, CA
- 2016 Consultant, St John’s Kagiso Marching Band, South Africa
- 2016 Instructor, Exhibition Drill Academy, Police College of Qatar
- 2016 Instructor, Richards High School NJROTC, Chicago, IL
- 2016 Instructor, CAP MER Drill and Ceremonies School, VA
- 2015 Instructor, Law Enforcement Honor Guard Academy, Gonzales, LA
- 2015 Consultant, Kings Dominion (VA) and Carowinds (NC) theme parks
- 2015, Instructor, Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, Aspen, CO
- 2015 Colors Coach to CAP National Champion Coral Springs and second-place team Ormond Beach
- 2014 Instructor, Cadet Joint Service Honor Guard Academy, KY
- 2013 Instructor/Consultant, Sea Cadets, Phoenix, AZ
- 2014 Instructor/Consultant, Norwich University Drill Team
- 2013 Instructor, Firefighter Honor Guard Academy, McAllen, TX
- 2013 Instructor, Cadet Joint Service Honor Guard Academy, KY
- 2013-Pres. Drill Master for American Military Cadet Corps and Camp Sousley, KY
- 2012 Guest Judge, (the last) Joint Service Drill Competition, Washington DC
- 2012 Clinician, Honor Guard Convention, Las Vegas, NV
- 2011-Pres. Army JROTC Drill Team and Color Guard Coach, Merritt Island High School, FL
- 2011-Pres. Air Force JROTC Color Guard Coach, Florida (Air) Prep Academy, FL
- 2011-2012 Air Force JROTC Drill Team Coach, Melbourne High School, FL
- 2011 Air Force JROTC Drill Team Coach, Eau Gallie High School, FL
- 2009-2011 Marching Instructor, Bitburg High School AFJROTC Drill Team and Color Guard, GE
- 2009-Pres. Bazuinenkorps Jong Leven and Jong Leven Winter Guard Visual Caption Head, NL
- 2006 Caption Head, Vanden (Winter) Percussion Theater, Vanden High School Band, Vacaville, CA
- 2005-2006 Drum major and percussion tutor and marching instructor, Vanden High School Band, Vacaville, CA
- 2004 Consultant, Kadena High School AFJROTC Drill Team, Kadena Air Base, JP
- 1996-1998 Visual Instructor, Bazuinenkorps Jong Leven and Jong Leven Winter Guard, NL
- 1990-1993 Marching Instructor, Tucson, Desert View and Mountain View High Schools, AZ
- 2013-Pres. Judge, JROTC drill competitions
- 2012 Head Judge, New York Drill Competition
- 2011-Pres. Adjudicator, online and local JROTC exhibition, regulation and ceremonial drill competitions
- 2011 Judge, Florida Fire Service Honor Guard Association Competition
- 2010 Head judge, New York, North Carolina and Texas Drill Competitions
- 2005-2008 Visual and Drum Major Judge, Pacific Coast Judges Association, Vacaville, CA
- 1998-2001 Judge, Air Force JROTC Drill Team competitions, South Carolina
- 1996-1998 Visual Judge, Color Guard Nederland
- 1994-1998 Visual and Percussion Judge, Drum Corps Holland
- 1994-1996 Judge, multi-service JROTC Drill Team competitions, Europe
- 1992-1993 Judge, Air Force JROTC Drill Team competitions, Arizona
- 1987-1989 Visual and Percussion Judge, Drum Corps United Kingdom
- 2015 Wrote and published, The Platoon/Flight & Drill Team Coach’s Field Manual
- 2015 Wrote and published, The Color Guard Coach’s Field Manual
- 2014 Wrote and published, Filling in the Gaps, Volume II
- 2013 Wrote and published, Filling in the Gaps
- 2012 Wrote and published, The Honor Guard Manual
- 2011 Wrote and published, Exhibition Drill for the Military Drill Team, Volume II
- 2010 Wrote and published, Continuing Education for the Visual Adjudicator
- 2009 Wrote and published, The World Drill Association Adjudication Manual and Rule Book
- 2009 Wrote and published, Exhibition Drill for the Military Drill Team
- 2009-Pres. Continuously writing educational articles (1500+) published through my website
- 2015-Pres. National Police Week Honor Guard Competition Technical Advisor
- 2010-Pres. Vice Associate Chief, Independent Selection Committee, International Association of Exhibition Drillers
- 2009 Founder and CEO, The DrillMaster, LLC
- 2009-2011 Authorized Provider Partnership Program member and Trainer, Spangdahlem Air Base Honor Guard, GE
- 2008-Pres. Director of Contests, International Association of Exhibition Drillers (Pro America)
- 2008-Pres. Founder and Adjudication Faculty Head, World Drill Association, Inc.
- 2002-2004 Assistant Superintendent, Kadena Base Honor Guard, JP
- 1994-1997 Created, trained and lead NATO HQ (Netherlands) US Joint Service Honor Guard
- 1990-1993 Trainer and Assistant NCOIC, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Honor Guard, AZ
- 1983-1985 Army ROTC, New Mexico Military Institute cadet
- 1979-1983 Air Force JROTC cadet, Agua Fria High School, Avondale, AZ
- 2015 Certification, Foundations of Pageantry Arts Assessment
- 2016 – Pres. Master of Divinity/Master of Theology, Master’s International School of Divinity
- 2016 Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies, Emphasis in Theology, Master’s Internation University of Divinity
- 2003, Air Force Honor Guard Basic Protocol, Honors and Ceremonies Course
- 2001 Associate of Applied Science, Education and Training Management Community College of the Air Force
- 2001 Air Force Principles of Instruction
- 2000 Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Academy
- 2000 Principles/Methods of Teaching Certificate, USAF
- 2000 Air Force Instructional Systems Designer Certificate, USAF
- 2000 Leadership, Management, and Managerial Communications Certificate, USAF
- 1999 Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School
- 1999 Air Force Computer Based Instruction Course
- 1998 Associate of Applied Science, Reprographics (Offset Printing) Community College of the Air Force
- 1998 Air Force Education and Training Management Basic Course
- 1997 Winter Guard International General Effect Visual Judging certificate, Color Guard Nederland
- 1986 Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course
- 1985 Navy-Air Force Basic Lithographer Basic Course, Ft. Belvoir, VA
- 1985 Air Force basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX
What Others Say
I received the Honor Guard Manual today and all I can say is it is awesome. I can only imagine the time and effort you put into it. We get departments all the time that can’t afford to come to training. Your manual will be the “go to” book from them.
~Eric H., Elmhurst (Ill) Honor Guard Training Academy
I bought all of your books and wish I had them 20 years ago. They have been/are a great help. I teach Air Force Junior ROTC in Rock Hill, SC and use the info all the time.
Your books are fantastic!
~Albuquerque High School AJROTC
I find myself reading your every post on Facebook in addition to saving them for future use in our Honor Guard. The information you provide is invaluable. Yes, you can teach an old Marine new tricks. I plan to purchase your book for use in our program.
~OFC. Robert V.
John trained the newly formed honor guard for the UC Berkeley Police Department. He brought the needed expertise to teach ceremonial honors to experienced and inexperienced team members. He tuned his book, The Honor Guard Manual, to our needs and coordinated the training with the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office. He has become a mentor and a friend and I highly recommend him to all PD honor guards.
OFC. George H.
All About The DrillMaster
John K. Marshall, The DrillMaster, served 20 years in the US Air Force with 14 of those years dedicated to the Air Force Base Honor Guard program. He retired in 2005. When his wife, an Air Force nurse, was stationed at Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany, he became the first and only retired member of the Spangdahlem Base Honor Guard after both the officer in charge and non-commissioned officer in charge were eager to have his experience on the team. By joining the Spangdahlem team, he also became the first and only AP3 member in Europe and quite possibly overseas.
He has been a member, instructor and/or judge for marching bands, drum and bugle corps, indoor guard and percussion units, military drill teams and honor guard units around the world. In 2009, through DrillMaster Press, he began writing and publishing the first modern books for the military drill world. and is listed in the Marching Round Table Judge’s Academy Judges Listing.
It’s not only about the length of experience, but also the breadth.
During the summer of 2013, The DrillMaster taught the first ever Cadet Joint Service Honor Guard Academy at the NCTC along with hand-picked ceremonial guardsmen and Drillers from across the country. The course is a two-week intensive that continues to this day for cadets from all organizations and is based on his book, The Honor Guard Manual.
“Education is key!” is the phrase used most often on DrillMaster social media accounts and continuing education is The DrillMaster goal. To this end, he is determined to study pageantry arts and apply that education to the military drill world. John Marshall, The DrillMaster, is now a certified and registered Field and Ensemble Visual adjudicator with the Judges Academy.